Adult Content Warning

You have entered a site intended for ADULTS ONLY. If you are under the age of 18, or if it is illegal to view such material in your community, please exit this site immediately. This site contains mature content including but not limited to; articles, discussions, pictures and other materials that some people may find offensive. If such materials offend you, please exit this site immediately.

Tuesday, January 30, 2018

Paraprosdokians

Hope you enjoy this giggle from Meredith's Jack!

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~ 

The first time I heard about paraprosdokians, I liked them.  Paraprosdokians are figures of speech in which the end part of a sentence or phrase is surprising or unexpected and is frequently humorous. (Winston Churchill loved them.)

1. Where there's a will, I want to be in it.
  
2. The last thing I want to do is hurt you...but it's still on my list.
  
3. Since light travels faster than sound, some people appear bright until you hear them speak.
  
4. If I agreed with you, we'd both be wrong.
  
5. We never really grow up.... we only learn how to act in public.
  
6. War does not determine who is right, only who is left.
  
7. Knowledge is knowing a tomato is a fruit. Wisdom is not putting it in a fruit salad.
  
8. To steal ideas from one person is plagiarism. To steal from many is research.
  
9. I didn't say it was your fault, I said I was blaming you.
  
10. In filling out an application, where it says, "In case of emergency, notify...." I answered, "a doctor."
  
11. Women will never be equal to men until they can walk down the street with a bald head and a beer gut, and still think they are sexy.
 
12. You do not need a parachute to skydive. You only need a parachute to skydive twice.
  
13. I used to be indecisive, but now I'm not so sure.
  
14 To be sure of hitting the target, shoot first and call whatever you hit the target.
  
15. Going to church doesn't make you religious, any more than standing in a garage makes you a car.
  
16 You're never too old to learn something stupid.

17. I'm supposed to respect my elders, but it's getting harder and harder for me to find one now.

14 comments:

  1. These are great!!! I have never heard that long word before. Thanks mucho to Jack and you, Cat. Sam is such a Winston Churchill fan. I will have to see if he has heard of these.

    I will also see if I can write one! How fun.

    Hugs and Smiles From Ella

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Happy you enjoyed these, Ella and hope Sam did also.

      Hugs and blessings...Cat

      Delete
  2. Love these, I hadn't heard that term before either. These were fun, thank you Jack and Cat :)

    Hugs
    Roz

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. You're welcome, Roz...happy you enjoyed.

      Hugs and blessings...Cat

      Delete
  3. Hi cat, these are very amusing! Never heard that word before, don't suppose it pops up much in conversation!
    love Jan, xx

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Happy you enjoyed these, Jan. :)

      Hugs and blessings...Cat

      Delete
  4. Hi Cat, I haven't heard that term either. Thanks for sharing, loved them.
    Hugs Lindy xx

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Happy you enjoyed them, Lindy. :)

      Hugs and blessings...Cat

      Delete
  5. Guess you have increased everyone's vocabulary ....I think one of the most famous of these...Take my wife...please.
    hugs abby

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Looks that way, Abby...I thought at least one of our teachers would know this word. I love your example...that is one of the most famous. :)

      Hugs and blessings...Cat

      Delete
  6. that's a good word. I'll probably forget it by tomorrow tho. it's a long one.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. It's not one I'll remember any time soon, Fondles. ;)

      Hugs and blessings...Cat

      Delete
  7. Replies
    1. Really wish it was still working, Bogey.

      Hugs and blessings...Cat

      Delete

Thanks for stopping by. Respectful comments are always welcome.